Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's Love Got To Do With It

So me and good ole friend Ashlee (check out her blog http://crackcakes.blogspot.com/ if you need a hearty laugh, she's got the medicine!) were texting some minutes ago about the lack of love in our generation. We talked about how love is sought after in all the wrong places and the place where love should be received it isn't given anymore. It angers and saddens me when people talk down about us, but don't do much to help us. I am a firm believer that love conquers all. I'm not just saying that because it's a cliche and sounds good...it is something that I have experienced.

I remember I was talking to this boy a long time ago. We started off simply as friends and then an attraction developed between us that blossomed into a relationship. Now before we started going together, he told me all about his life story. He was born in Romania (yes I went with a white guy...but he looked and sounded hispanic but newho). When he was born, he was thrown in a trash can. His first heartache was when he was young, him and his friend were playing on a bridge and he accidentally knocked him off and he died. He moved to Chicago, was put in the foster care system, and he had horror stories for days about that. Then, he eventually joined a gang and needless to say, he killed people. He even told me how he just walked up to someone, killed them, and continued about his day like it was nothing. There are more stories he told, but that's irrelevant. I'm sure you get the point. Well because of my relationship with God at the time, he used to question me about why I'm a Christian and all kinds of things. We eventually broke up (nothing bitter we were just going in two different directions) and didn't contact each other as much. However, one time when he did contact me, the first thing he told me was that he gave his life to Christ and he was inspired by my relationship that he decided to develop his own. All I could do was praise God. Because I operated out of love, he was able to find a love that's greater than any love in the world. Love is an emotion that we can transcend to at least one person. It is not impossible to do at all. I can't wait for the day that this world operates out of the freedom of love instead of the oppression of judgement and fear. And I say fear for a very valid reason.

One reason why I feel like we don't operate in love towards the youth is simply because we are afraid of the youth. I went to a conference last year with some students from my school that was with preachers of the black church and one of the themes (or it might have been the central theme...can't quite remember) was violence. One of my friends did a presentation on violence (which was excellent) and the adults in the room asked all these questions about youth and if you ask me I think that they forgot that some of the age group were sitting in the room, such as myself. I mean they had a big long table discussion about violence and youth and all these other issues surrounding it but didn't ask not a single one of us! Needless to say that angered me and I voiced my opinion (in a respectable manner of course), but that just reiterates that people really are afraid to love these youth. Instead of talking about the youth and collaborating to make these grand conferences about them, include them in the youth. Talk to the youth and see what exactly it is that they need from us. I sometimes fear the future of our generation, but that's not the spirit in which God has given us. I have enough faith that my generation and generations to come will surprise this world (in a good way) and surpass the limited expectations placed on us. When will learn to love again? When will we learn to love like Jesus and God loves us? The time is past due...we must operate out of love now. Well that's my spill on that...very lengthy as you can see, but that has been on my heart for quite some time and I'm just now putting my thoughts into cyberspace lol but newho ta ta for now! Toodles! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment